On December 14th, 2011 OpenNTF, The Open Source Community turned 10 years old. It seems like just yesterday we were celebrating it’s 5th birthday. Today I raise a glass to all of the project and code contributors, to the community and organizations who use them, and to all those involved in helping OpenNTF to continue to learn, evolve and serve.
What is IBM Connect 2012 and why you need to pay attention to this event
On Episode 145 of the Taking Notes podcast Julian Robichaux and I spoke with three members of the IBM Collaboration Solutions (ICS) division about the brand new IBM Connect 2012 event being held in parallel with Lotusphere 2012. Our guests were Susan Collins, Marketing Manager, IBM Collaboration Solutions and Social Business, Dan Hauenstein, Manager, Social Business Marketing Strategy and Michelle Tuttle, Market Segment Manager, IBM Collaboration Solutions.
We talked about:
- What is Connect?
- Where and when it is.
- Why you need to go to Connect.
- Who also should attend Connect.
- What kind of sessions there will be.
- Who the Connect OGS speaker will be (Awesome choice).
- Surprises people may see/hear about at Connect.
- How attendees will be “transformed” by attending this event.
- We ask about the Lotusphere OGS speaker and get an answer.
- What attendees do at IBM Connect.
- and more…
Keep up with the latest on the IBM Connect conference by following the IBM Social Insights Blog or the Twitter hashtags #IBMConnect and #IBMSocialBiz.
The show runs just under 27 minutes and is a great listen while wrapping your holiday gifts, trimming the Christmas tree or working on your P90X.
Happy birthday Danielle
Camtasia 2 for Mac Quick Review
MyMusicRx in action – Victoria
OneUI/XPages Quick Tip
Have you used the XPages Extension Library Navigator control in your apps? If so, have you noticed how the top entry in the navigator doesn’t quite look right? You can also see this small UI niggle in the XPages Extension Library (ExtLib) Sample demo app. I noticed this when I was using the Application Layout control and placing a Navigator in the left/right column(s).
Here is what I am talking about in the XPages ExtLib:
Notice how the Home navigator link has it’s top cut off? Here is what it should look like (from an app I am working on):
Does that look a lot better to you? This is simple to fix. Go into the Style properties of the Navigator and simply add 5px margin:
You can also make this change with a style override in your apps style sheet if you would prefer. I hope that this helps you with perfecting your XPages UI work.
I am also going to explore to see if this is only the case when using the Application Layout control.
Podcast: Are You Ready For Lotusphere? With Andy, Paul, and Stuart.
With only 46 days until Lotusphere 2012 we thought we would pull together a show with community luminaries Andy Donaldson, Paul Mooney and Stuart McIntyre.
- Will this be the year of the “big change” (It’s the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine)
- Tips for Lotusphere newbites
- Why we go to Lotusphere
- Who the OGS speaker will be
- Where to socialize at Lotusphere
- The quality of breakout sessions
- Expect demos, demos and more demos
- What does “social” mean at a conference like Lotusphere?
- IBM Connect
- Paul wins the “social” bingo game
- Will Lotusphere go back to being a purely technical conference?
- What are Andy, Paul and Stuart excited about being at Lotusphere?
- and much more….
The show runs approximately 46 minutes.
The Evolution of Search
Podcast: IBM’s SmartCamp Program for Entrepreneurs with Mike Riegel
On Episode 143 of Taking Notes we interview IBM’s Mike Riegel (@mikeriegel, LinkedIn, Blog), Vice President – ISVs, Startups, Developers, and Academic Programs. We talked about IBM’s SmartCamp program and what it’s all about.
- When people think about Big Blue, start up companies isn’t something that comes to mind. So when I heard about your SmartCamp program and some of the other things you are doing around the world for entrepreneurs I was a little surprised. Tell us what exactly is IBM doing with StartUps and Entrepreneurs?
- Why are entrepreneurs and start ups important to IBM?
- What is a SmartCamp?
- Is it working? How successful are previous participants?
- Are you looking for companies that are doing work in collaboration and social business?
- How does a startup company qualify for SmartCamps?
- What should our listeners do if they want to participate in 2012?
- I heard the World Finals is coming up. What do you expect to see from the companies taking part?
- and much more…
The show runs 25:25.
Taking Notes: The start of year 7
It’s hard to believe that Julian and I have been producing Taking Notes for six years now. Geez, it’s hard to imagine doing anything for 6 years nowadays! During 2011 we produced 14 shows, not nearly the number we have produced in prior years however, the shows we have done have had commendable download stats.
This year we decided to venture outside the topic areas we have covered in the past, and personally it has been extremely rewarding. Some of my favorite shows included the one we did with Rick Turcozy of the Portland Incubator Experiment (PIE), the one with Appcelerator CEO Jeff Haynie and my personal favorite the interview with Scott Kveton, CEO of Urban Airship. Oh and the recent episode with Mark Myers on NoSQL is now in record breaking territory. I received some nice compliments from some IBMers yesterday who really enjoyed the show with Mark.
I would like to take this opportunity on behalf of Julian and myself to thank you all for your support. Having shows with 25,000+ downloads is mind-blowing. As my friend Mac OS Ken says – “you rock”.
Thanks again to all of you for listening and supporting Taking Notes.