I’m very thankful for all of the guest speakers who took time from their busy schedules to spend a few hours talking with students in the Business Web Practices class at Clark College. Each of you made an impact on each and every student, which I know they really appreciated.
- Aaron Hockley: Photography & WordCamp Speaker
- Peter Ramsing: Software Developer and Project Leader Veelo
- Jane Croft: Quality Assurance Senior Analyst/Manager, Anthem
- Callie Carroll: User Experience (UX) Researcher
- Dave Barcos: Founder – The Bridge Incubator
- Christine Watson: Project Manager, Formations Design Group, LLC
- Fellene Gaylord: Creative in Chief at Sirius Media LLC and Adjunct Professor at Clark College
- Cheryl Bledsoe: Technology & Accreditation Manager at Clackamas County Communications
- Jason Wright: Chief Operations Officers, Webfor
- Dale Chumbley: Realtor and Social Media Pioneer, Real Living Real Estate
- Adriana Vela: MarketTecNexus, Founder
- Eliza Greenwood: Freelance Digital Marketer, ESODAS, LLC
- Sophie Banner: Mission Marketer // Communications Specialist // Creative Strategist, City of Vancouver
Also, a big shout out to Tim Cook, Adam Coleman, Chris Martin, Arlo Petersen, William Hafer, Fellene Gaylord, Helen Martin and Robert Hughes for their continued support and encouragement throughout my teaching journey.
I had the honor of becoming a contributor for the outstanding NotesIn9 Video Podcast produced by David Leedy. In this show, I demonstrate how I built and Amazon Alexa Skill for the IBM Domino based IdeaJam app. If you have any questions, please let me know. I would be more than happy to answer them! Thank you, David, for having me on. More videos on building Alexa Skills coming soon.
Two new videos were added to the “Business Web Practices Speaker Series” channel on YouTube. The first is Dr. Tocarra Stark, Marketing Director, Clark College and the second is Heidi Johnson Bixby of Johnson Bixby and Associates. Many thanks to Tocarra and Heidi for taking the time to speak to the Clark College community.
Please subscribe to the CTEC 165 Business Web Practices Speaker Series YouTube channel.
Here’s the video of Peter Ramsing‘s talk entitled “The Ongoing Adventures of a Front End Developer” which he delivered at Clark College on Wednesday afternoon. Let me just say that web development technologies have been rapidly evolving over the past several years. A day doesn’t go by when a new language, library, tool, technique isn’t trying to grab your attention. Peter talks about this and how important it is to maintain your focus. On behalf of Clark College thank you, Peter.
Here are some links
to things mentioned during Peter’s talk.
Canvas is an extremely powerful learning management system for both students and educators. One of the things that Canvas offers is the ability to configure the types and frequency of system notifications. I put together a short video that shows you have to configure email notifications, SMS, and push notifications.
A few days ago when I posted a link to the latest “Innovators of Vancouver” video I neglected to include my thoughts about it. Let me first say that as a child each and every Saturday, I participated in a group at the Industrial Home for the Blind (now known as the Helen Keller Institute). The group was comprised of 5-7 kids who were challenged with a visual disability. Some had vision similar to mine, and others were completely blind. We typically would spend our time going to parks, playing games and horsing around.
I always wondered as a child what would become of these kids and how they would fair as adults given their challenges. Well, this video struck a chord with me and showed me exactly what they are probably are doing today. I’m sure they are asking themselves the same question of me and others.
Frankly, I know that my parents were concerned about me and my ability to lead a life with limited vision. I’m glad that they don’t have to worry about that anymore.