This short film profiles inspiring examples of women who got their start, and found their calling, in STEM — Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics.
It features Sheeri K. Cabal, database admin at Mozilla and author of the popular OurSQL podcast; Jess Stratton, lynda.com author and the founder of Solace Learning; and Peggy Fisher, professor of computer science at Penn State and leader of several tech-focused after-school programs for disadvantaged youth.
Here Sheeri, Jess, and Peggy talk about the key factors to their success (confidence, community, and curiosity), and the ways they’re encouraging more students to enter STEM.
The video includes my friend Jess Stratton who you may know from the IBM/Lotus world and who is now a Lynda.com staff author. The video also includes photos of Gab Davis, Kathy Brown, and many others of the “Nerd Girls”. It’s a “must watch” video.
Earlier this week I completed my seventh Microsoft Certified Technology Associate (MTA) exam. The test was the “HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals (Exam 98-375). This exam focussed on the following:
- Managing the Application Life Cycle
- Building the User Interface by Using HTML5: Text, Graphics, and Media
- Building the User Interface by Using HTML5: Organization, Input, and Validation
- Understanding CSS Essentials: Content Flow, Positioning, and Styling
- Understanding CSS Essentials: Layouts
- Managing Text Flow by Using CSS
- Managing the Graphical Interface by Using CSS
- Creating Animations, Working with Graphics, and Accessing Data
Here is a list of the MTA’s that I have completed the last few months:
- Microsoft Technology Associate: HTML5 Application Development Fundamentals, July 17, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Networking Fundamentals, June 18, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Security Fundamentals, June 11, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Database Administration Fundamentals, June 09, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Web Development Fundamentals, June 09, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Windows Operating System Fundamentals, June 04, 2014
- Microsoft Technology Associate: Software Development Fundamentals, February 25, 2014
Next up is the .NET Fundamentals exam.
- Introducing Microsoft Office for iPad
- Introducing Microsoft Word for iPad
- Introducing Microsoft Excel for iPad
- Introducing Microsoft PowerPoint for iPad
Take free online courses from the creators of MongoDB. MongoDB University offers courses for both developers and DBAs.
- Seven week courses give you flexibility to work through material when it suits your schedule.
- Frequent assessments and check-ins by TAs and instructors help you verify your understanding.
- A certificate of completion confirms your membership in our community of cutting-edge NoSQL technologists.
More than 100,000 people have enrolled in our courses to date.
This article strikes home as I am now completing my first year as a college instructor who teaches computer programming:
When they graduate and get their first job, a lot of students feel like they don’t really know how to program even though they may have been good programmers in college.
What are some of the differences between programming in an academic setting and programming in the ‘real world’?
In a traditional undergraduate computer science program you learn just programming. But the real world doesn’t want people who are just programmers. The real world wants real software engineers. I know many job descriptions don’t seem to express this distinction, which only confuses the matter.
Today we interviewed Lynda.com author Jess Stratton. Jess has been a member of the IBM Collaboration Solutions Community for over decade. She has spoken at Lotusphere and other industry events. Jess now works for the online learning company Lynda.com where she helps author video training for Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office and other products and technologies.
Rather than listing out all of the super cool things Jess talks about we suggest that you just push play and start listening. Jess does recommend that you “Like” the Lynda.com Facebook Fan Page where you can find out about the latest tutorials and promotions.